From: Neal
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Sent: 13/01/2004 12:35 PM
Subject: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Could not find trusted
certificate

I suddenly have a problem reading XML over SSL, where the system has
been in place for a year and the problem never existed before! And the
weird part is
that both my dev and production environmets now seem to have the same
problem.

Another interesting tidbit I have noticed is that I *can* access XML
documents on my own server (using a Thawte cert) but have a problem when
attempting to access documents on two external servers that I know use
Verisign certs.  This may or may not be related.

Can anyone think of what may be wrong or what I can do to correct the
issue?

I am getting the following error:
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Could not find trusted certificate

Here is the method I am using to retrieve the document:
public Document readDocument(URL url) throws IOException,
ParserConfigurationException, SAXException {
        Document doc = null;
      InputStream in = url.openStream();
      DocumentBuilderFactory docBuilderFactory =
DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance();
      DocumentBuilder docBuilder =
docBuilderFactory.newDocumentBuilder();
      doc = docBuilder.parse(in);