I don't know the reason but amongst other things to research are which
JVM you end up using in either scenario. It appears that the default
with Sun's JDK is that starting from a CMD.EXE prompt results in the
client JVM being selected by default, whereas starting as a service
uses the server JVM instead. Your issues may be related to this.

I also highly recommend you consider upgrading from JDK 1.4.0 to the
latest JDK, 1.4.2_03. There are numerous bug fixes between where you
are and where the JDK is today, as well as performance optimizations.