I think this has the taste of wrong/not_provided security provider.
If you are using sun's JSSE

Add this to your $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security/java.security

security.provider.1=sun.security.provider.Sun
security.provider.2=com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider
security.provider.3=com.sun.rsajca.Provider