Hi Jacob,

I must have botched something here.

I renamed the script, saved it in my TOMCAT_HOME/bin,
and executed it by typing:

jakarta-tomcat-5.0.16-servicebatch.bat install
Apache-Tomcat-5.0.16

There were several messages flying by, telling me how
to install and uninstall a service.  The last line
read "The service 'Apache-Tomcat-5.0.16' has been
installed".

But when I open my Windows 2000 Services panel, I
don't see that service anywhere.  I see my
'Apache-Tomcat-4.1.29' service (stopped, of course).

If I type "netstat -a", I don't see a listener on port
8080.

What have I done wrong?  Please advise. - MOD

--- Jacob Kjome <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There is a service.bat file in the Tomcat CVS.
> Here's a copy of that with a
> couple minor tweaks.  I've attached it before to
> emails in this list, but I'll
> attach it again since it is small.  Rename
> service.txt to service.bat.
>
> Jake
>
> Quoting Michael Duffy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>

> > Hi, I've recently downloaded Tomcat 5.0.16 to try
> some
> > 4.1.29 Web apps against it.
> >
> > I've always installed Tomcat as a service using a
> > Windows command script like this:
> >
> >     set JAVA_HOME=C:\Tools\JDKs
> >     set CATALINA_HOME=C:\Tools\Tomcat\5.0.16
> >     set TOMCAT_HOME=%CATALINA_HOME%
> >
> >     set SERVICE_NAME=Apache-Tomcat-5.0.16
> >     set

BOOTSTRAP_SERVICE=org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService
> >     set STDOUT=%TOMCAT_HOME%\logs\stdout.log
> >     set STDERR=%TOMCAT_HOME%\logs\stderr.log
> >
> >     echo Service name: %SERVICE_NAME%
> >     echo Java HOME   : %JAVA_HOME%
> >     echo Tomcat HOME : %TOMCAT_HOME%
> >     echo Bootstrap   : %BOOTSTRAP_SERVICE%
> >     echo Output log  : %STDOUT%
> >     echo Error  log  : %STDERR%
> >
> >     tomcat.exe -install %SERVICE_NAME%
> > %JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll -server -Xms64m
> > -Xmx256m
> > -Djava.class.path=%TOMCAT_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar
> > -Dcatalina.home=%TOMCAT_HOME%
> > -Djava.endorsed.dirs=%TOMCAT_HOME%\common\endorsed
> > -start %BOOTSTRAP_SERVICE% -params start -stop
> > %BOOTSTRAP_SERVICE% -params stop -out %STDOUT%
> -err
> > %STDERR%
> >
> > But it's not working with Tomcat 5.0.16.
> >
> > I downloaded the ZIP file, as I always do, not the
> > .exe installer.
> >
> > What is the proper idiom for setting up Tomcat
> 5.0.16
> > as a service under Windows 2000?  Thanks - MOD

> > Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus"
> Sweepstakes
> > http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: