I believe Tomcat ignores any system environment
variable CLASSPATH.

When Tomcat starts, it assumes the CLASSPATH for your
Web app consists of:

(1) The rt.jar, of course,
(2) All the JARs in TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib, which are
visible to all apps,
(3) All the JARs in the TOMCAT_HOME/server/lib, which
are visible only to Tomcat,
(4) All the JARs in your WEB-INF/lib, which are
visible only to your app,
(5) All the .class files in your WEB-INF/classes,
which are visible only to your app.

That's it.

If your Web app needs a JAR, put it in the WEB-INF/lib
and you should be all set. - MOD

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html