I'd give a look to the logs.  If your situation is
like mine, there'll be a good hint in there.

I had exactly that problem with Tomcat 4.1.24.  The
MBean server would always throw an exception,
resulting in an admin app that would behave as you
describe.

The problem?  I had some outdated MBean JARs in my
JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext directory that I'd forgotten
about.  They were interfering with the more up-to-date
JARs that were installed with Tomcat.  The class
loader would find them first and cause the problem.

When I removed those JARs, everything worked fine.

Now I never put anything in that directory other than
language extensions (e.g., packages that start with
javax).

See if that does anything for you. - MOD