I want to use one JDBC connection pool in my tomcat (4.1) instance for all contexts;
therefore I configure the DataSource in <GlobalNamingResources>. In each context I put
a <ResourceLink> so I can obtain the DataSource in my applications.
But now I have the problem that I had to execute some SQL statements (e.g. a "set
role" statement or some calls to stored procedures...) on the connection before it
will passed to the application. This statements are different from context to context.
My current solution is: I wrote a resource factory class, which is configured in every
context. It does a JDNI lookup to the global connection pool, gets the DataSource and
put it in a wrapper class, which exectures the SQL statetments before getConnection()
deliveres the connection to the application. The SQL statements a read in before as
resource parameters. This works fine except that global connection pool must be
declared in the context with <ResourceLink>. So the application can also use this
DataSource. I want to prohibit that the application can use the original DataSource!
Is there a way to use a global resource only in a (context local) resource factory
class and prohibit the application to use this global resource? Or do you have a
better solution to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Gernot