Yeah, I see the same thing.  No jsessionId in the header. with <%@ page
session="false" %>

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 1/20/04 3:31:31 PM >>>
Its on by default because the spec says so.

Are you sure you don't have a filter or anything else creating a
session?

I created a page called cowbell with this content with tomcat 4.1:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] session="false"%>
foo

Then simulated a web browser:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]: telnet localhost 8080
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to fever.joedog.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /cowbell.jsp HTTP/1.1