Your question seems a little confusing to me, because a context is the same thing as a webapp in my opinion.
If I have multiple contexts, I consider them multiple webapps.
Are you saying that your webapp is whatever it is that you put on the tomcat server that didn't come with it? Those are actually considered multiple webapps.

You can start and stop contexts without affecting other contexts, but I've never trusted the manager app to completely handle this correctly in tomcat 4. As far as restarting gracefully, I believe you could add code to the ContextListener that checks to see that there are no sessions, but that would mean that you would need to have session listeners as well and a static variable in your ContextListener class that was incremented or decremented as sessions were created or destroyed. Then your ContextListener could refuse to shut down until there were no sessions left. However, that isn't the same thing that you are looking for I believe. You would also have to make a way for new sessions to be denied until the old ones all died. That could take hours, and I don't think you would want your app down that long just to let the people who are there finish what they are doing, while sacrificing the new people from creating sessions.

Daniel Gibby

P.S. I wouldn't put Quick in your subject line. Nothing is a quick question on this list, unless it is a yes or a no. And that never gives enough detail.

Rick Szeto wrote:

Hi,
Does Tomcat 5 allow starting, stopping and/or restarting of a context without affecting the other contexts of the same webapp? Also, can a context be stopped or restarted gracefully(ie keep running until all of the sessions are dead)?

Thanks,
Rick Szeto