Thanks for the tip.
I have tried CATALINA_OPTS=-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8,
I see, when executing my JSP, that the "file.encoding" is properly set,
I even see my logs as UTF-8 now,
but I still have my problem (javascript files interpreted as ISO-8859-1 instead of
UTF-8)
with my menus stored in the javascript file (A@ appearsinstead of é).

What is strange is that I have put the javascript file in one of my apache (2.0.47)
directories, so that the browser downloads it from apache,
but I still have the problem.

It seems like tomcat is informing the browser that all the related files to my html
page
are in ISO-8859-1 instead of UTF-8.

Is there a way to configure tomcat to send specific mime types (in my case
text/javascript)
in specific charset (UTF-8)

Maybe this problem is related to the browser (Mozilla), since I don't have
the problem with IE 5.5, but with tomcat 4.0.27,
I don't have the problem (javascript interpreted as ISO-8859-1 instead of UTF-8).

Any other guess ?