Howdy,
The "default" location for files is the "current working directory"
which is the directory from which the startup script is launched.
Needless to say, relying on this is fragile at best.  So you want to
write your applet such that the location of the .ini file is a
parameter, and pass your applet this parameter (preferably a URL
obtained via ServletContext#getResource as opposed to a file IO
mechanism).

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.