Well, I have made an assumption in most cases.  The OutOfMemoryError is
logged with no timestamp to $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out.  We have
a script that periodically (every 15 minutes) hits the applications and
notifies us of any error response (either status above 400 or the word
"ERROR" in the content).  When I get such a notification, I immediately
check the log file (catalina.out) for the OutOfMemoryError, and it is
always near or at the bottom of the file.

I know that in and of itself is no indication of when the error
actually occurs.  The applications themselves are set up to use syslog
(through Log4J).  Sometimes the OutOfMemoryError is logged here with a
timestamp, and always occurs within minutes of my notification.