There was a bugzilla report about this in 4.1.??. It turned out there was a lot of calls to something or lack of caching or something else. (Or maybe is was a tomcat-dev discussion) In either case - it was many months ago.

I don't know if this got fixed in 4.1 or if the root cause was just exposed. Whatever it was, it won't be fixed in 4.0.X

Thats all the details I can remember.

-Tim

Johan Coens wrote:

Hello all,

I have an application which heavily uses rmi. Because the poor performance
under tomcat, i tried some other app servers to compare. I came up with the
following results:

- tomcat 4.0.6
- websphere 5.0
- orion 2.0.2
- jetty 4.2.15

orion 1.2 sec
websphere 1.2 sec
tomcat 8.4 sec
jetty 1.1 sec

All tests ran under the same jdk (1.3.1_06), same machine, same
configuration, default install etc. I know I use old jdk's and old tomcat
version, but I have tried newer tomcat (4.1.28, 5.0) and newer jdk's
(1.4.2), but that only showed slight performance gain.

I used JProbe to find out what the bottleneck would be, it showed that 67%
off all method time goes to java.rmi.server.RemoteRef.invoke and 20% goes to
java.rmi.Registry.Lookup.

Is it a known issue or known configuration issue, is there a way to speed up
this performance? The test machine running is WinXp 1.8Ghz, 512Mb mem.

Cheers,
Johan