I have a single server running Tomcat supporting several webapps. The web apps fall
into two categories:
 webapps that require quick response but that use few system resources
 webapps that are expected to process for a long period and consume large amounts of
system resources

The goal is to create a tomcat configuration that supports these two categories of
applications. My difficulty is that the number of simultaneous requests supportable
within the system's memory constraints is very different.

In the past (Tomcat 4.1.27) I created two HTTP connectors with different
minProcessors, maxProcessors and acceptCount values. Web apps were registered/accessed
via different ports effectively managing the resources of the server. The connector on
port 9080 supports a large number of light-weight apps while the connector on 9081
queues up concurrent heavy-weight requests beyond some configurable limit (3).

    <Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector" port="9080"

               minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="9443"
               useURIValidationHack="false" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

    <Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector" port="9081"

               minProcessors="3" maxProcessors="3"
               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="9443"
               useURIValidationHack="false" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

I tried a similar configuration on Tomcat 5.0.18 but noticed a ThreadPool warning on
startup stating that my maxThreads setting was too low and that it would be reset to
10.

WARNING: maxThreads setting (3) too low, set to 10

Does anyone have any ideas how I can rectify this situation? 10 concurrent threads is
too many (at peak each heavy-weight can consume ~1GB of memory). Simply increasing the
memory limits is not going to do it.

Thanks much,
Ed