Holger Klawitter wrote:

All of these are running Tomcat 4.1.29 or 4.1.12.  I recently tried to
deploy it to the "test web server" at my client and it runs dreadfully
slow.  It takes almost 30 seconds to load a page.  The main difference
is that the test web server has a 667 MHz CPU.  It has 512 MB RAM, and
we upgraded it to 1 GB, but that didn't help at all.

I have 750MHz 256MB RAM (Linux with postgres,tomcat,X) running just fine.

Perhaps your disk is the bottleneck. (DMA, fragmentation, ...)

Also, java naming issues may make pages load dead slow if the remote host does not resolve.

30 secs to load a page? That is TOO slow to be Tomcat's or WebApp's fault. I'd go check DNS resolving. It has got to be something system related.

Nix.