hi pinguti,

1) response.sendRedirect(redirectUrl) will tell the browser to get the
contents from the url given (you can also use relative urls).

dispatcher.forward will invoke the servlet/jsp given and will hand the
complete request + response object to it (forward it), so in fact control
is passed to the invoked servlet/jsp. you usually use this within an MVC
pattern where a servlet does the control work and will fetch data from
backend systems, and the jsp takes over to do the rendering/view work.

2) yes, this is ok.

true will create a new session, if none exists.
false will not create a new session if there isn't already one. it will
simply return null in this case.

I hope this helps,
Johannes

Pinguti Sridevi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
22.01.2004 11:38
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

anand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, javagroup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
parvez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, tomcat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc

Subject
2 questions

1) What is the differences between two ?
res.sendRedirect("
http://localhost:8080/authendication/Logout/body_logout.jsp";);
or
getServletContext().getRequestDispatcher("/authendication/Logout/body_logout.jsp").forward(req,

res);

2) 1 )Whenever for the first time if the user enters, I want to store the
username,rights in the session  How to do it in Servlet. Is it right ?

HttpSession session = request.getSession(true); //can u tell me when we
have keep false here.
session.setAttribute("username",usernamevalue);
session.setAttribute("rights",rights");