I think I read the using named pipes is faster, but that's not going to be a problem
here.  If I can't get named pipes to work, then I'll try using TCP/IP restricted to
localhost.

Actually, this whole DataSource experiment has a questionable return on investment.  I
already have it working just fine with DriverManager using nothing more than the
little README file what comes with MySQL's Connector/J download.  However, I'd read
that DataSource was "the way to go" for the future, so I thought that switching from
DriverManger to DataSource would be a good exercise.  So far, all this exercise has
given me is sore muscles.

Merrill