There is no general answer to that.
It depends on the structure of the customers that use tomcat.

Just 2 completely different use cases:

You use a fixed set of applications and sell them as a service
to the costomers.

That may be case for one tomcat for several customers.

You sell webspace and let the user do what they wan't
(install applications, upload jsp's, ...)

For me, that's a clear case for separate tomcat instances.

In my experience the raw memory consumption for several
instances is not the problem (unless you have only webapps
that have just small footprints). The most part of the
memory usage comes from the application and this will nearly
be the same between both solutions.

Depending on what you want to offer you might even have
different environments for certain user profiles.
One tomcat to serve simple webapps and several tomcats
with one application each for highend customers.