Hello, Drew:
"Perception is reality but reality isn't necessarily perception" has proven
itselt many, many times.  People often need credentials in order to _get_
the job but not to actually perform the tasks, especially with the current
supply/demand imbalance.   Non-technical hiring managers can't possibly
determine who has the best technical skills, so they try to decide if the
person sitting on the other side of the table 1) can do the job, 2) will do
the job, and 3) will also get along with others (to state the obvious).

I've read e-mail in one certification-related group on yahoo about freely
available downloads of entire certification tests, and comments from
the sender about having friends who know nothing about technology xyz
and yet were able to pass the exams; this also puts the non-technical
hiring managers in a precarious position.  There is clearly no substitute
for experience, yet I've seen people with "20 years experience" in a
field where they've been doing the same thing for the last 17/18 years.

Credentials (IMHO) tend to demonstrate that you have "follow-through",
similar to completing college, though dropping out does not constitute
failure or lack of intelligence (think of Bill Gates:)).   I know someone
who got a job (several years ago, mind you) at HP because she had
won a high-school level prize for her knowledge of Japanese, which
distinguished her from the other job candidates.  That knowledge
had absolutely nothing to do with the programming job, yet it was a
perception-based factor that weighed in her favor.

Ah well, such is life....

Oswald

Hamilton Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I tend to agree with the certifications are BS argument. I have several
certifications and they don't really help me do my job. Unfortunately, in
the climate we are in these days, the fact that there are certifications
lead us down the road to being forced into acquiring them. When faced with
the likelihood that the hiring authority in a company may not be an
engineer, but a human resource manager and the requirements for the position
are certification in this, that or the other technology, even though I may
have 5 more years worth of experience, my resume my get tossed aside because
I don't have the piece of paper that tells them that someone else thinks I
know what I'm doing, which may sound ridiculous but is still true. It is
disheartening to see because I switch jobs every three years and more and
more I see that someone wants you to be an SCJP, SCJD, CCIE, CCNA, MCSE,
MCSD, or what have you (does this remind anyone of alphabet soup). I think
there are ways for you to showcase your skills in your resume without having
to resort to getting certifications but it just seems to me that sooner or
later there is going to be some form of certification REQUIRED for a lot of
positions. Just my .02

Regards,

Drew