SH Solutions wrote:

Hi

I experience problems using 5.0.18 that did not occur running 4.0.6, but I
do NOT want to revert to it.
Maybe you could help me:

Actually I have a system that uses classloaders for loading add-in groups.
The two most important functions are:

 protected Class findClass( String className )
   throws ClassNotFoundException
 {
   if ( className.startsWith( "com.companyname." ) )
     return getClass().getClassLoader().loadClass( className );
   byte classData[] = getTypeFromBasePath( className );
   if ( classData == null )
     throw new ClassNotFoundException();
   return defineClass( className, classData, 0, classData.length );
 }

private byte[] getTypeFromBasePath( String typeName )
{
return Utils.readFile( classPath + typeName.replace( '.',
File.separatorChar ) + ".class" );
}

This works that far. It worked completely in tomcat4.0.6.

Now, having switched to 5.0.18 something wired occued:
java.lang.ClassNotFound javax.mail.Address

we used to have mailapi.jar in common (including its dependencies) which
worked well.
Now with 5.0.18 these classes are not found anymore, but nothing was changed
inside the code.

Could you give me any hints?

Have you added the mail's jar file to your WEB-INF/lib or common/lib? If not, then that's the problem. Tomcat 5 doesn't ship with the mail api.

-- Jeanfrancois

Thanks,
 Steffen