OK that makes sense and I've tested it and you're
right.
I have a directory structure like this (everything
over SSL):
.../webapps/theWebApp/
.../webapps/theWebApp/certs

and in the .../webapps/theWebApp/ directory I have a
file called main.html that has a link to
https://<servername>/theWebApp/certs/CACert.cer
and when I click it it will not allow me to save it or
access it at all.  However, if I put a test file in
the /certs directory called hi.html, I can access that
via https://<servername>/theWebApp/certs/hi.html

I have checked my <tomcatHome>/conf/web.xml and there
is a mime mapping for .cer files.   What gives?

Thanks a lot for the help!
-Alex