Ah.. figured it out...
<% bandbg = "ok"; %>

is like

<% bandbg = new String("ok"); %>

I wasn't setting a string, I was creating a new one... doh.

Thanks anyways!
-Marc

Marc Hughes wrote:

I have the following situation:

Page1.jsp:

<jsp:useBean id="bandbg" scope="request" class="java.lang.String" />
<%   bandbg = "ok";   %>
First page: <%= bandbg %>
<jsp:include page="page2.jsp"  />

Page2.jsp: <jsp:useBean id="bandbg" scope="request" class="java.lang.String" /> <BR>Second page: <%= bandbg %>

Viewing page1.jsp I get the output: First page: ok Second page:

I thought I should get the output:
First page: ok
Second page: ok

I've tried with application & session scope too.

I'm assuming I'm just misunderstanding how things work. Maybe tomcat starts processing includes before it processes the page or something? Any comments?

Thanks
-Marc