From: Mike Curwen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 04 March 2004 19:18
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: problem in configuring a Datasource in Tomcat 5.0

how about downloading a version of the mysql driver that's current? The
current driver version is far removed from the one you're using. Maybe
the error message will change slightly to give you a better hint?
(stranger things have happened).

http://www.mysql.com/downloads/api-jdbc-stable.html

I'd recommend two changes then, to your server.xml
<parameter>
   <name>driverClassName</name>
   <value>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
   <name>url</name>

<value>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/menagerie?autoReconnect=true</value>
</parameter>

Have you also tried replacing 'localhost' with 127.0.0.1  ?