Hi,

>As I remember, tomcat (including this specific version) will often
leave
>some sort of background thread running even when the shutdown script
has
>been successfully executed.

What are you talking about?  You remember this from where?

Tomcat doesn't leave any of its threads running when the shutdown script
successfully executes.

>The best way
>of determining that tomcat has successfully shutdown is to create
>dependant webapps, deploy them and try to run them aftre shutdown. You
>should get an internal server error (make sure your webserver is
running
>properly though).

Best is obviously a subjective term, but I can think of several easier
ways, including OS-level utilities (e.g. netstat) or simple tools like
wget.

>FYI, tomcat on Solaris has real problems in my experience, specifically
>SunOS 5... :-)

Then our experiences vastly differ.  We've been running various versions
of tomcat on Solaris 2.[6789] (Sun OS 5.[6789]) without any OS-level
problems for years.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.