Date: 03/08/04 17:31:40
To: Tomcat
Subject: NT Service terminates

I have Tomcat 4.1.24 running as Windows Service on Windows 2000 Server  - hosting a number of applications.  I currently have it running

When I run a simple load test using Microsoft Stress Tester - as I increase the load I can repeatedly force the Window Service to terminate.  I'm only running with a load of 100 users.

When I run Tomcat from the command-line as an application and I repeat the test - Tomcat runs fine - performance is fine.  No problems.

So what is it about running Tomcat as a service that makes it so easy to bring down?  I'm tempted to blame the OS - but that doesn't really solve the problem - or explain what the difference is.

Has anyone else observed this?

Is it possible to get Tomcat to start as an application - on start-up i.e. as if it were a service - but running as an application.  Sorry if that's a meaningless question.