Hi,

>Is there any way to prevent the server from responding to these
methods? I
>ran the same scan tests on one of our Apache boxes and it can back
complete
>dead on the PUT and DELETE methods i.e. it didn't respond in any way -
>that's the behaviour we're looking for. Would the same not be possible
on
>Tomcat standalone?

Please define "completely dead" more specifically: did your scans time
out?  Return with a 404 error?  Another HTTP response code?

You can do a variety of things, depending on how portable you want to
be.  I like the security-constraint approach.

Another possibility is a simple filter (javax.servlet.Filter, portable)
or Valve (tomcat-specific, but earlier in the request processing
pipeline which might be key for you, and also slightly more performant),
which simply checks the request method (HttpServletRequest#getMethod)
and rejects the request if needed in whatever way you prefer.

Going further down the customization path would be modifying the Coyote
connector itself to reject requests with certain methods.  This would be
a generalization of the current allowTrace functionality.  If you do a
nice patch for this feel free to suggest it back to us as an enhancement
;)

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.