Hi,
Context destruction does not mean session destruction: that would be a
violation of the servlet specification ;)  The container must try to
persist data for active sessions across restarts in a "robust" way (I've
always had an issue for that robust word in the spec, but that's another
battle).

By the time contextDestroyed is called, all session passivation has been
done, hence your NPE.  (This is also per the servlet spec).

If you want your sessions destroyed or not persisted, consider a
different configuration for your Manager element in server.xml.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics