Which method is "best" for connecting Apache to Tomcat?

Should I use JNI for Apache to invoke an in-process Tomcat? Or should I run
a Tomcat server and let the connector forward traffic to the server?

What disadvantages does the JNI approach have?

This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged or
confidential
information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and
delete the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.