Your problem doesn't have to do much with the 'most stable tamcat'.
This is an jvm error. (Although a change in the tomcat version may
get you around this bug, but that is accidently)

- Make shure you have all required os patches for your os.
- Maybe you have to look for a newer jvm version for your os.
- Maybe you have to look for a newer os version
  (You didn't mention the os and it's version)

As I haven't any current experience with java on sun hardware and os
I'm not shure what the latest versions for the jdk and the os are.
(AFAIK 1.4.2_04 for the jvm)