From: Walter Stokes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 3:56 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Tomcat 4 Clustering w/Session Replication Issue

I am experiencing a problem using software load balancer distributor
(using round robin) to two Tomcat 4.1.24 instances running on the same
machine. I am using the tomcat-replication.jar for in memory session
replication. The context using session replication is also using a
security-realm with form authentication. When the initial http request comes
into server1, security constraint forces browser to my custom login form
page. The submit of form(POST of j_security_check) then hits the
server2. User authentication is successful, however server2 doesn't have the
original http request. So he doesn't know the original URL to redirect
to. This appears to happen b/c Tomcat places the original httprequest
into the notes collection of the catalina session object. The notes
collection doesn't appear to be replicated between servers. So, the second
server doesn't have the original url. It looks like the principal gets
replicated, along with all session attributes. So, the problem only
happens
at login. Meaning once the user is authenticated and redirected by the
same server, I can switch servers successfully. From further testing,
it looks like the same situation exists in Tomcat 5 with clustering
code. I am wondering is this a known issue or if it should be considered an
issue. Any configuration fixes or workarounds would be helpful. Thanks
for your time!

---