Jacob Kjome wrote:

At 06:19 PM 3/13/2004 -0500, you wrote:

Jacob,
My hosting service is Tomcat 4.18 so I'm kind of stuck with 4.x. Are you saying if I use tomcat 4.x I must not put a context for my applicaton in server.mxl? Then it will be unpacked automatially?
thanks,
Phil

Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. Or, do this...

<Context path="/coolapp" docBase="coolapp.war"/>

Now you can specify any configuration you want for your app and it will be deployed just fine. It won't be unpacked. It will run directly from the .war file. Just note that you will not be able to use context.getRealPath("/") as it will return null if the app is deployed directly from the .war file and not a directory. Of course, you should never depend on this anyway if you want your application to run under any appserver.

Also note that the above is exactly what you'd give to Tomcat5 and it will unpack it anyway. The app will run from the directory, not the .war file even though the docBase is specified as the .war file.

Jake

Thanks Jake,
Good explaination.
Phil