Disable all of the auto reloading features of tomcat.  The mem leak
seems to be centered there.  Or at least, I haven't had a OOME since I
turned that stuff off.

You would need clustered sessions of some sort.  They either need to be
persisted across the network using filip's code (tomcat 5 has this in
it) or you need to write your own session manager that persists session
data to the DB.
--Angus