Thank you for your help Yoav.

1. This is the Tomcat start-up error after I add my virtual host to the
server.xml

INFO: Processing Context configuration file URL
file:E:\Tomcat\conf\Catalina\www.artistsonline.co.nz\manager.xml
17/03/2004 06:16:08 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer install
INFO: Installing web application at context path /artistsonline from URL
file:E:\Tomcat\webapps\artistsonline
17/03/2004 06:16:09 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer install
INFO: Installing web application at context path /balancer from URL
file:E:\Tomcat\webapps\balancer
17/03/2004 06:16:09 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error filterStart
17/03/2004 06:16:09 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context startup failed due to previous errors
17/03/2004 06:16:09 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer install
INFO: Installing web application at context path /jsp-examples from URL
file:E:\Tomcat\webapps\jsp-examples

2. regarding my host enty:
      <Host name="www.artistsonline.co.nz" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">

I'm new to Tomcat so I've been searching the web for examples on how to host
virtual sites and found this:
http://www.galatea.com/flashguides/virtual-hosting-tomcat.xml which is what
I based my host entry on.

If I try something other than appBase="webapps" (such as:
appBase="artistsonline")I get Tomcat startup errors:

SEVERE: Error starting static Resources
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
E:\Tomcat\artistsonline\artistsonline does not exist or is not a readable
directory

Do I still need the locahost entry if I'm defining my own virtual host?  Any
pointers to documentation would be much appreciated, or does someone have a
sample server.xml file with virtual hosts please.

Thanks & regards
Antoni