From: Steve Gums [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 11:57 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: JDBC problems with MySQL

Users

            I know there has been a bazillion messages about this.  I searched the
archives and couldn't find anything to solve my extremely annoying issue.  It has to
be something really simple but I just can't find it.

My System:

            Solaris 9

            Tomcat 5.0.19

            MySQL 4.0.18

            Connector J 3.0.11

I have the connector J jar in the /usr/local/tomcat/common/lib dir.

I have basically copied the HOW-TO located at.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-how
to.html

and my result is this.

Results

Foo Not Connected
Bar -1

I have tried everything I can think of.  I verified the database and the user/password
combo.  Works good.  I even created a simple Java app that connects and performs
queries, which worked.  That would indicate everything is cool with the Connector J.
I have verified that the jdbc/TestDB is in the context and it is.  As best I can tell
ds (DataSource) is coming back not null, but the call to getConnection is failing.  I
created a little more verbose web app and get the following message.

org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for
connect URL 'null', cause: No suitable driver

This has to be something simple, because this works fine on my old machine. I know I
am forgetting some small step that I did the first time and failed to do again.  Trust
me I have checked the configs about a million times, and
can't find any differences.   Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry to be so vague here, but this is really simple. I don't know what else to
include for info.

Steve Gums

[EMAIL PROTECTED]