I have no problem unpacking wars on Tomcat 4.1.x.

I set the Host appBase to the absolute (not relative) path of the
directory where the war will be located. For example:

<Host name="localhost.struts" appBase="/home/tomcat/struts" debug="0"
unpackWARs="true">

In this case you would put mywebapp.war in /home/tomcat/struts/.

Then you can use the following Context:

<Context path="" docBase="mywebapp" debug="0" reloadable="true" />

Make sure the mywebapp directory does not exist; otherwise, the war will
not unpack.