<sarcasm>
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that perhaps you have some xml that you just edited where you included the string "--" within a comment block. I'm basing this guess on the error message that you got:

"The string "--" is not permitted within comments."
</sarcasm>

Seriously, check the XML that you just edited and look for something that looks like:

<!-- This is my comment -- it's not well-formed. -->

Such a comment is malformed. If you can't figure out which xml it is (you should be able to), look at the source Catalina.java:449.

Next time, you may want to consider thinking about the error message you got before posting to the list and, if you're going to post, give some context and an indication that you did so:

"I was trying to edit my server.xml to add a new Coyote Connector, which I believe I did correctly. Now when I start my Tomcat with the startup.bat file, I get the following error message: [Stack Trace]. I couldn't figure out what was causing this, so I bumped up the debug level, but didn't see anything. [Debug output]. I googled for "is not permitted within comments" but didn't find anything useful. I'm offering 40 karma points for anyone who can help me with this... please."

;)
justin