Parsons Technical Services wrote:

Look at all your servlets and ask what can they do if you call them
directly. Can their use be twisted?

Now let your imagination flow.

Gotta agree w/ Doug. The Invoker servlet has nasty connotations. I like having it turned on, just for development, as it can sometimes be a convenience. But for any externally exposed, production system, it probably should be turned off.

Also, along those same lines... there's a train of thought
that says it's bad because having URL patterns like
/servlet/MyServlet tip off users as to what underlying
technology your application uses.  And while "security
through obscurity" is somewhat frowned up, I agree that
there's no point giving would be hackers any additional
info for free.

So with that in mind, you might want to consider the fact
that you can remap all your URL patterns as you see fit.
For example, you could configure Tomcat to use a .asp
extension, instead of .jsp!  Yeah it's only a minor advantage,
but think about it.. if Joe Script Kiddie sees .asp or .aspx
extensions on your site, he's going to start running IIS
exploits against your site.. none of which are going to work
if you're using standalone Tomcat, or Tomcat + different HTTP server.
So maybe he gets bored and moves on to somebody else's server.

Anyway, just something to think about...

TTYL,

Phil

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org