-----Original Message-----
From: Williams, Daniel S
Sent: 30 March 2004 15:39
To: Tomcat Users List

Problem with deploying servlets on tomcat.

The versions of tomcat I have is 5.0 with the j2sdk1.4.2_03.

My project allows for a user to enter a url in a form, which is then
processed by a java servlet, and links within the url are validated. The
problem I'm having is that when the form is submitted, tomcat returns
the status report: 404 requested resource unavailable.
The url entered is http://localhost:8080/sitevalidation/INDEX.HTM  -
this works fine and the home page appears.
When the form is submitted, the url changes to
http://localhost:8080/sitevalidation/SiteValidation - which I assume is
then looking for the servlet declared in the web.xml file, this is when
the problems start.
I have noticed that on starting up tomcat, the application is loading
o.k, but then the script reads: info: missing application web.xml, using
defaults only
StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].standardcontext[/siteva
lidation]

I think I have the correct file structure as I have included the
application dir "sitevalidation" in the webapps directory of tomcat.
sitevalidation
            INDEX.HTM
            WEB-INF
                 web.xml
                 classes
                      SiteValidation.java
                      SiteValidation.class
SiteValidation.class compiles correctly and when javap -classpath is
used it returns the correct signigtures

My web.xml file reads:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC
   "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN"
   "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>

<web-app>
      <display-name>Site Validation</display-name>
            <description>
        This is the Site Validation Program Written in Java
        </description>
       <servlet>
                <servlet-name>SiteValidation</servlet-name>
                <servlet-class>SiteValidation</servlet-class>
        </servlet>
                        <servlet-mapping>
                <servlet-name>SiteValidation</servlet-name>
                <url-pattern>/SiteValidation</url-pattern>
        </servlet-mapping>
</web-app>

Any suggestions to where I might be going wrong would be most
appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dan Williams