[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on Tuesday, April 13, 2004:
>Now I have shutdown my tomcat and started it immediately. And my session
>still works !!!

Pretty cool, huh?

>Is this a BUG?

If it is, then a lot of people spent an aweful lot of time introducing it.

I just read "Tomcat: The Definitive Guide" by Jason Brittain & Ian Darwin.  While this
covers Tomcat 4, I'm pretty sure this applies to 5 as well.

The <Manager> tag in the server.xml file defines the session manager class.  As
example would be

    <Manager className="org.apache.catalina.session.PersistentManager" ...

The default session manger is StandardManager.  The StandardManager class preserves
the state of sessions by serializing them to a file called SESSIONS.ser when the
server shuts down, then restores them when it starts up again.

Alternatively, you can use PersistentManager which dynamically stores session data in
some kind of data store (be that files, or a database, or whatever).

If you don't want this persistence behavior, replace the Manager with one which
doesn't preserve sessions between server shutdown and startup.