On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 13:35, Parsons Technical Services wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Several questions:
>
> What version of Tomcat is this?

Version 5 from what I can tell from the licence agreement.  (What is the
correct way to determine?)

> What platform/OS are you on?

Solaris 9 (MU3 applied) on Sparc

> Which JDK version?

Sun J2SDK build 1.4.2-b28

> Typically this error is from a mis-configuration for the jndi.
>
> Here are my configuration files or parts of for my development box.
>
> First in the server.xml set up a GlobalResource such as this:
>
> Of course replace the necesary data with your specifics.

[snip]

I have this.

> Next place this, at the bottom, in your web.xml for the app:

[snip]

I have this also..

Both of these I have copied almost verbatim from the Tomcat JNDI
DataSource HowTo.  I can paste you in my exact code if you think it
would help.

> For TC5: Now create a file in the META-INF directory. Name the file
> context.xml.
> In this file you will need to define the context and the link to the jdbc.
> For TC4: Add this to the server.xml

[snip]

I have tried with and without the context.xml, it didn't make any
difference.  I do not think that the JNDI binding is the real problem as
when I change the calling code in my Servlet to look up the wrong JNDI
name I get different errors.

I think that the binding is there but it is somehow not getting the
correct parameters.  In particular the driver class name.