OK, I think I'll have to re-write, at least that way I eliminate incompatibility across servlet containers.
Thanks everyone for your advice.

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:46:53 +0400, Veniamin Fichin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Malcolm Warren wrote:

I wish it was as easy as you say...
I know that I don't have to implement my own url re-writing, but I did, and it was a long time ago!
Right now I don't really want to re-write everything - sending the jsessionid as an ordinary parameter worked in Jrun, can't it work in Tomcat?

You may be required to implement custom Manager (see org.apache.catalina.Manager interface), where you'll put your session id generation logic. But if you are not absolutely forced to use that old-fashined url-rewrite style, you should use session mechanism described in Servlet spec. That spec also mentions url-rewrite solution, when a user have switched cookie off, but still it is advisable to use response.encodeURL(String) method.
Read description of javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse.encodeURL(String) for a more advanced explanation.