maybe ur new file is not compiled....
try deleting ur work directory...
the line 30 is base on the java file not the jsp file

"Adam Buglass" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
04/19/2004 06:33 PM
Please respond to "Tomcat Users List"

        To:     "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        cc:

        Subject:        Re: Mysterious Null Pointer Exception in Login script

Interestingly - I edited out the source file in question so that it only
had about 15-20 lines.

It *still* claims that the exception is being thrown is at Line 30,
although line 30 doesn't exist anymore. I'm stumped!  :-(

Adam

On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 11:29, Adam Buglass wrote:
> [...]
> >             thisUser = (ISPSelfCare.Login)
> > java.beans.Beans.instantiate(this.getClass().getClassLoader(),
> > "ISPSelfCare.Login");
> >           } catch (ClassNotFoundException exc) {
> >             throw new InstantiationException(exc.getMessage());
> >           } catch (Exception exc) {
> >             throw new ServletException("Cannot create bean of class "
+
> > "ISPSelfCare.Login", exc);
> >           }
> >           pageContext.setAttribute("thisUser", thisUser,
> > PageContext.SESSION_SCOPE);
> >         }
> >       }
> >       out.write("\n\n");
> >
> >         String userid = request.getParameter( "userid" );
> >         String passwd = request.getParameter( "passwd" );
> >
> > //      if( userid == null || passwd == null )
> > //              throw new RuntimeException( "Invalid arguments" );
> >

> > //      if( userid.length() == 0 )
> > //              throw new RuntimeException( "Please provide your
dial-up
> > user id." );
> >
> > //      if( passwd.length() == 0 )
> > //              throw new RuntimeException( "Please provide your
dial-up
> > password." );
> >
> > //      <jsp:useBean id="thisUser" class="ISPSelfCare.Login"
> > scope="session" />
> > //      <jsp:setProperty name="thisUser" property="custID" />
> > //      <jsp:setProperty name="thisUser" property="userID" />
> > //      <jsp:setProperty name="thisUser" property="login" />
> >
> >         thisUser.login( userid, passwd );
> > //      thisUser.something();
> >
> > //      thisUser.setUserID( userid );
> >         response.sendRedirect( "index.jsp" );
> >       out.write("\n");
> >     } catch (Throwable t) {
> >       out = _jspx_out;
> >       if (out != null && out.getBufferSize() != 0)
> >         out.clearBuffer();
> >       if (pageContext != null) pageContext.handlePageException(t);
> >     } finally {
> >       if (_jspxFactory != null)
> > _jspxFactory.releasePageContext(pageContext);
> >     }
> >   }
> > }
> >

> > On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 10:58, Thomas Chua wrote:
> > > try looking for this file in your work directory....
> > > login_jsp._jspService(login_jsp.java:74)
> > >

> > > "Adam Buglass" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > 04/19/2004 05:41 PM
> > > Please respond to "Tomcat Users List"
> > >

> > >         To:     "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >         cc:
> > >
> > >         Subject:        Mysterious Null Pointer Exception in Login
> > script
> > >

> > > Hi, I hope this is the right list for this, it's been driving me up
the
> > > wall!
> > >
> > > First things first, I'm using tomcat servlet container 4.1 with Suns
> > > J2SE 1.4.1
> > >
> > > The problem is I have a simple login procedure whereby a user enters
> > > their id and password into a JSP which passes the information to a
Java