The servlet container spec from Sun doesn't specify any integration requirements for JAAS. The JAAS support is basically fledgeling authentication, and that's it for servlet spec 2.4 - I would be interested myself in seeing the discussions and motivations behind the progress and changes on the road to 2.5, but I don't know whether it's public.