Are you running as a service? If so, try running running with the startup script. The default "service.bat" doesn't add tools.jar to the "ImagePath". You will need to do this in order for JSP's to be compiled. The examples run because they are all pre-compiled and mapped as servlets. I don't see why they are because then you get questions like this where you think that JSP's work for the apps that ship with Tomcat, but not yours so you try to figure out what you are doing wrong when you aren't doing anything wrong because it is a problem with Tomcat itself. Plus it would make it more apparent to the Tomcat developers that tools.jar needs to be added to the "ImagePath" since the jsp examples won't work until that happens.

As for running over Port 80, are you fronting that with Apache or did you change the Tomcat connector config to use port 80? When you say images won't even load, I suspect it is bad configuration of the former. I suggest getting everything to work with the defaults with no jk connector stuff and only then modifying things to your liking.

Jake