I too have questions concerning multihosting with Tomcat.

Yoav has mentioned a few times about not needing a connector to IIS or Apache. What I wonder is whether or not the Tomcat Standalone method would work in a situation where you have 20+ instances (Windows Services/JVMs) running on one installation of Tomcat.

There does not seem to be any documentation for Tomcat in a multihosting environment. The main things which are lacking are the results of setting certain parameters too high or too low.

Ex. MaxProcessors (Tomcat 4.1.27) - we have an issue where one site will creep up to 107 thread and be so slow that we have to restart the service (JVM Instance.) Default value is 75 - how does it even get up to 107? We have been constantly modifiying this along with accept count and monitoring trying to figure the best fit. However, I don't know if this is a good value to be modifying when you have 20+ sites.

My Questions:

1) Is Tomcat Standalone (4.1.27 or higher) still a viable implementation in a multi-instance scenario?
2) What are the ramifications of modifing these parameters in a multi-instance scenario?
3) Is anyone willing to join a create a discussion group on this topic or should we keep posting our thoughts/concerns here?

So far the testing of standalone tomcat proves to be ok, however, I am weary of changing production because test environment and load tests almost never provide the same results as real life :)

If anyone has any experience, knowledge or thoughts - please reply.

Thanks.