Are you sure this isn't related to heavy garbage collection in the JVM?

jvmstat has some good tools to monitor memory usage an garbage collection in your app.

Michiel

Wojciech Sobczuk wrote:

Hello,

I'm running Tomcat 5.0.18 on RedHat 9, started with the following commandline:
/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_01//bin/java -Xmx256m -server -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/java/jakarta-tomcat/common/endorsed -classpath /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_01//lib/tools.jar:/usr/java/jakarta-tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/java/jakarta-tomcat/bin/commons-logging-api.jar -Dcatalina.base=/usr/java/jakarta-tomcat -Dcatalina.home=/usr/java/jakarta-tomcat -Djava.io.tmpdir=/usr/java/jakarta-tomcat/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

and with development=false and fork=true in the jsp servlet configuration.

This installation is serving around 200000 hits per day, much of it is DB intensive. Before i set development=false and fork=true I had big hangups when I changed the JSPs and Tomcat started recompiling them - the whole engine practically stopped for a few minutes and the load went up to 16 on the server. Now development and fork variables are set correctly for deployment, but I am still having a strange problem. Every now and then (probably every few hours, I can't tell exactly) Tomcat stops for around 20 seconds. I noticed it when browsing one of my sites, everything was working fast, and then at a certain point, after I clicked on a link, the browser started connecting to the server and waited for the response for a long time. When I checked the load on the box it was 1-2 (normally it's 0.5), but didn't notice any processes hogging the CPU with 'top'. I already fixed all DB connection leaks I had so that can't be the issue here. Traffic peaks can't be it either, I have constant traffic.

I know that this isn't a precise description of the error I'm encountering but I don't have any more information at this point. I'm hoping that someone encountered this already and can help me, or perhaps you can give me directions how to figure out what's wrong.

Best regards,
W. Sobczuk

Michiel Toneman  Software Engineer   Bibit Global Payment Services
Regulierenring 10  3981 LB  Bunnik       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel. +31-30-6595168  Fax +31-30-6564464      http://www.bibit.com/