I've got tomcat running on a Linux machine with 2000GB of RAM.  The tomcat settings
are JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xms1500M -Xmx1500M"; therefore, when i start Tomcat, I'll see
free memory drop to about 500MB - which is expected.  But, when tomcat is running and
especially under heavy load the free memory continues to drop while buffer and cache
rises.  I understand that Linux places all used memory into the buffer and cache and
puts it back to free memory when needed.  But I'm confused as to why free memory would
be used at all since 1500MB of memory has already been allocated to Tomcat.  I mean,
why isn't it pulling from it's own heap instead of consuming Linux's free memory?