From: Mario Ivankovits [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 11:05 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: No session in tomcat 5.0.24

Rob Tillie wrote:

>Last night we updated our tomcat server from 5.0.16 to 5.0.24.
Suddenly,
>the web applications don't keep the same session between requests,
>hereby rendering parts of our applications useless.

I have experienced a simmilar problem - it looks like the session was
lost between the requests - in fact the problem was, that tomcat sets
two cookies (for the root context and the application context) and it
seems like it could not correctly handle thre response if those two
cookies are sent back and starts a new session.

I solved this for now by adding the following line to the the <host
element
                <Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0"
cookies="false"/>
the magic is to set the cookies=false on the root context. So the
application context (/opsjs in our case) is the only which uses cookies.

I have seen this with Internet-Explorer and Mozilla - so it might be a
tomcat problem??
Not sure - wanted to figured it out a bit more, but thought it might
help you and so come out with this now.

-- Mario