On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Brett W. McCoy wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Samson, Lyndon [IT] wrote:
>
> > But but but... tomcat does serve static pages. It can be used as a
> > stand alone web server, and with a simple servlet, it could run
> > cgi progams.
>
> Sorry, I had been under the original impression that Tomcat couldn't
> do static pages or serverd them very inefficiently.  I stand
> corrected.  Running CGI via a servlet sounds dreadfully slow,
> though, especially if it has to do something like start up a Perl
> interpreter, unless someone creates mod_jperl or something. :-)

This thread just goes to prove the old mailing list/newsgroup adage,
the best way to get responses is to post incorrect information :-).

On a related note, I'm assuming it's possible to disable Tomcat as a
standalong web server (i.e. to just use it with Apache), but how does
one do that?  Thanks.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]