I have just created a "pool" -- I hope it is really a pool. I used jtds
jdbc driver to MS SQL Server on Windows. You may find some thing similar.
Holp it helps.

1) bellow is the text in tomcat\conf\server.xml
<GlobalNamingResources>
  <Resource name="jdbc/DirectSQL" auth="Container"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
   <ResourceParams name="jdbc/DirectSQL">
     <parameter>
       <name>factory</name>
     </parameter>

     <parameter>
       <name>maxActive</name>
       <value>255</value>
     </parameter>
     <parameter>
       <name>maxIdle</name>
       <value>10</value>
     </parameter>
     <parameter>
       <name>maxWait</name>
       <value>10000</value>
     </parameter>
     <parameter>
      <name>username</name>
      <value>user1</value>
     </parameter>
     <parameter>
      <name>password</name>
      <value>passwd1</value>
     </parameter>
     <parameter>
        <name>driverClassName</name>
        <value>net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver</value>
     </parameter>
     <parameter>
       <name>url</name>
       <value>jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://serverName:1433</value>
     </parameter>
   </ResourceParams>

2) bellow is the text in tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost\ROOT.XML --I create
this file by myself
<Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0" privileged="true">

  <!-- Link to the user database using dbc:jtds:sqlserver -->
 <ResourceLink name="jdbc/DirectSQL" global="jdbc/DirectSQL"
                type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
</Context>
This "name" is used in Java code. "global" is the name in xml file. they can
be different.

3) my test jsp file is in \tomcat\webapps\ROOT\zuo\

                Context ctx = new InitialContext();
                if (ctx == null) {
                        throw new Exception("Boom - No Context");
                }
                DataSource ds = (DataSource)
ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/DirectSQL");
                if (ds != null)
                con = ds.getConnection();
                if (con != null){
                        str = "select * from myTable";
                        pStateSearch = con.prepareStatement(str,
ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_SENSITIVE,
ResultSet.CONCUR_READ_ONLY );
                        rs = pStateSearch.executeQuery();

That's all.